Tuesday, January 11, 2011

MAC A Tartan Tale Beauties Play It Cool Eye Shadow Palette Review & Swatches


MAC A Tartan Tale Collection Beauties Play It Cool Eye Shadow Palette was on my wishlist prior to Christmas, but I hummed and hawed a bit thinking, no must think of others gifts and charity.  Cool gray's and purple's are shades I don't typically wear, but this palette has a nice selection of each without going into full size eye shadows.

This palette includes Silverwear, Hold My Gaze, To The Ball, Altered State, Magic Moor and Heather Belles eye shadows.

  • Silverwear is a frost finish metallic lavender.  This shade has a silvery pearl sheen.  This one lacks a bit in pigmentation and is a bit on the pale side, so it isn't one that I would use as an all over lid color. 
  • Hold My Gaze is a frost finish medium gray.  This medium gray has a golden sheen that is lovely has an outer crease color.  This is one of my favorites of the palette.
  • To The Ball is a satin finish dusty lavender. I found this one to be the most difficult to work with.  It really needs a moist base, such as MAC Paint or a MAC Shadestick before I could get it to show up well.  Given a good sticky base, it does work well as an all over lid color.
  • Altered State is a veluxe pearl finish blackened plum. This is a beautiful shade that doesn't quite photograph well. 
  • Magic Moor is a veluxe pearl finish purple grape.  Darker and more cool than Altered State.
  • Heather Belles is a satin finish dark charcoal/carbon.  This one seemed more like a super dark greened navy that was almost charcoal, but not quite.  This color does not show up well at all when swatched, but in practice as a crease shade, it works alright.
Of note is that both Hold My Gaze and Altered State are re-promotes from the Sorceress Palette of the Holiday 2009 collection. While similar, they are different enough where I had to get Play It Cool :) 

Overall, this palette is fairly well rounded, I just wish it had a true highlighter shade.  Although Silverware is fairly light, I don't find Silverware to be quite the right shade.  It's a bit stark on the brow bone for my medium NC35/40 skintone.  Perhaps lighter gals may not have the same issue. 

While I haven't taken pictures with looks, I have been able to come up with a few looks using this palette and my old stand-by MAC Femme-Fi Eye Shadow as a highlighter.  Quick and easy:  Femme-Fi on the brow bone, Silverware on the inner third of the lid, To The Ball on the middle and outer third of the lid, Hold My Gaze in the outer crease and Heather Belles in the crease. 

PS. Sorry ladies that this is so late.  Christmas should be relaxing, but it has actually been fairly stressful this year.  Oh well, here's looking forward to a wonderful new year :)
 


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment