Tuesday, September 28, 2010

MAC Disney Venomous Villains Maleficent She Who Dares & My Dark Magic Mineralized Eye Shadow Review & Swatches













My absolute favorite products of the entire Venomous Villains Collection is the mineralized eye shadows. She Who Dares and My Dark Magic made it into my haul. They definitely don't let mineralized eye shadow fans down.












She Who Dares and My Dark Magic were ones I was definitely not skipping out on in Venomous Villains. They share similarities to MAC's Fall/Winter 2009 Style Black Collection with the black base. These are lovelier with two shadows on one, much like the MAC Magic Mirth and Mischeif! Collection from Holiday 2009.
She Who Dares includes a dark navy blue with pearl in a black base and a dark green with lime pearl in a black base. The dark blue side is very similar to MAC Blue Flame from last years MAC Style Black.












My Dark Magic includes a dark fuchsia with pink pearl in a black base and a dark pinky purple with purple pearl in a black base. The fuchsia side is quite similar to MAC Young Punk from Last years MAC Style Black.
These shadows are beautiful dry and amazing wet. However, I would suggest using them wet more so because this will tend to reduce the fallout on mineralized eye shadows.

Match-ups and looks? I just looked at some of the MAC Looks for this collection and must say that for Maleficent, they've managed to work a lot of permanent shadows in lighter shades with both She Who Dares and My Dark Magic. As well, keeping cheeks soft and near bare, lips dark and bold, yet this allows for a focus on the eyes. I will probably stick to a matte or very low level shimmer cheek. For dark and bold lips, I think I'll revive MAC Media Lipstick, MAC Deep Love Lipstick or even MAC Night Violet.

Dramatic yes, definitely not for the faint of heart ;) Enjoy the swatches! Complete face looks to come :)

4 comments:

  1. I've a question though :) How do you make them last throughout the day? Ironically, UDPP + paint pot did not really work for me. I am yet to try shadestick (but blending a shadestick on my eyelid seems to be tricky as well). Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi fieran,
    I use UDPP and MAC Paint, Paint Pot, Shadestick or Greasepaint Stick (I know a lot of different products, just depending on the colors I'm doing) when I use MAC Mineralized Eye Shadows. I haven't had a problem with them lasting all day this way. I always try to make sure that I use a fairly light, almost sheer, application of the second product. Have you tried Mixing Medium when applying wet? I know that can help too. I don't find I need to do that to make it last all day, but it would be worth a shot. HTH :)
    Cheers,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took your tip and tried My Dark Magic with French Quarter Greasepaint Stick - was really nice but very gothic. Hehehe. I think I should have used a smaller brush instead of 217 to apply the eyeshadow. Had to tone it down with matte colours (Nehru and Blackberry) and it was much more wearable, though still dramatic. I hope I don't scare my colleagues at work ;) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi fieran,
    Glad you got it to work for you :) Maybe try the MAC 228 or 239 rather than the 217 for the MES. They are smaller so you can get better control of the shadow.
    HTH :)
    Cheers,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete