Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sparkly Good Times: Stila Jewel Eye Shadow Palette Review & Swatches


The Stila Jewel Eye Shadow Palette is filled with four beautiful shades of sparkly fun. I picked mine up at one of my favorite cosmetic stores, Murale for $42 Canadian. It includes a pale pink shade with silver sparkles, Rose Quartz. A golden champagne shade with gold and silver sparkles, Golden Topaz. A purpled taupe shade, Amethyst. As well as a black shadow with silver sparkle, Black Diamond.

I have to admit the eye shadow that drew me in most at first was Black Diamond. Black with sparkles? Reminds me of last fall's MAC Style Black Collection that I absolutely adored. Unfortunately, these eye shadows are middle of the road in pigmentation. Not sheer, yet not quite as pigmented as the regular line of most Stila Eye Shadows. The most amount of pigmentation I got was using a sticky base such as MAC Bare Study Paint Pot and applying the eye shadows wet with a MAC 242 brush (significantly stiffer than a MAC 239 brush by the way ;). Applied dry, I get fair to good pigmentation with fallout along my cheeks. So I much prefer to apply these wet.

However (and more excitingly ;), these eye shadows do pack on a lot of shimmer. The shimmer is not chunky or heavy to look garish. A little bit of Golden Topaz along the inner third of the lower lashline gives you a bit of a starry eyed angelic effect that I quite like.

I personally wouldn't wear all four shadows in one look. I think it may be too much shimmer. I would mix it up and use them with other eye shadows in varying textures. I think the colors in the palette do work well, it would just be a lot of shimmer all at once! Of course a face of the day will be soon to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment