Saturday, April 3, 2010

MAC 130 Duo Fibre Brush Review















As part of the MAC Mineralize Foundation new release, the brand spanking new MAC 130 brush debuted. I am a bit of a brushaholic in addition to many other things. (I must have about three dozen or more brushes.) What intrigued me most about the MAC 130 brush was that the bristles were considerably shorter than those in the MAC 187, 188 and 131 brush. The description of the 130 brush from MAC is, "A short, round, flat-topped brush ideal for the smooth, easy application of foundations, creams, emulsions, and select powder products. Features a blend of natural bristles and synthetic fibres."













I tried the 130 brush with MAC Select SPF 15 foundation, MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 foundation, MAC Studio Fix Powder and MAC Mineralize Loose Foundation. The 130 brush performs well with liquid foundations best. On an everyday basis my liquid foundation of choice is MAC Select SPF 15. I tend to use either the MAC 182 or 181SE kabuki brush sprayed with Fix+ or Charged Water. The 130 brush provided a much lighter and even coverage. My only caveat was that it took longer do my foundation due to the narrower width of the brush head compared to the 181SE brush. When used with Studio Sculpt, I found a much sheerer and lighter finish. I find that Studio Sculpt tends to go on too heavy with almost every method of application except sponges. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 130 brush performed with Studio Sculpt. I may end up using Studio Sculpt more often now :)

While liquid foundations worked well, I found that the 130 brush didn't perform as well with powder foundation. I had far too much loose flying powder and required more swirling to blend in compared to the 182 or 181SE brush. Now when I use powder foundation, it is usually due to laziness to clean my brush after applying liquid foundation. Given the greater time required to to blend and swirl, I think I'll stick to the 182 or 181SE for powder foundation.

To buy or not to buy? If you're a brushaholic like me, I'd say yes. However if you tend to use powder foundation, I'd say no. I'd also suggest it if you're interested in a sheerer application of liquid foundation. It performs well to allow for easy blending, good coverage and sheer application.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I've been thinking about buying the 130 for liquid foundation as my first MAC brush ever! I only have a couple of Coastal Scents brushes but they are getting scratchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot
    beautiful family pic ;)

    ReplyDelete