Sunday, April 25, 2010

Comparison: MAC Hypnotizing Eye Shadow, Style Snob, Mauvement, Satin Taupe, Shale













MAC Hypnotizing Eye Shadow is one shade of eye shadow that has driven me madly in love with it. I use it often to vary up a smoky eye. Unfortunately, I didn't get Hypnotizing as a part of the MAC Love Lace Collection so I don't have a full size version. However, I do have it from the MAC Sorceress Holiday Eye Shadow Palette. I would describe Hypnotizing as a medium slightly cool mauve in a frost finish. My use of Hypnotizing has been a bit rampant as of late. I am pretty close to hitting pan, so I thought about picking up a new one on Ebay, but the prices are bit steep compared to retail.

While perusing my stash, the immediate shadows that come close in finish and color from MAC are Circa Plum pigment, Mauvement pigment, Shale eye shadow, Style Snob eye shadow and Satin Taupe Eye Shadow.
  • Circa Plum is, "frosty dirty mid-tone lavender."
  • Mauvement is, "cool taupe with gold pearl."
  • Shale is in a satin finish that is described as," Muted mauve-plum with subtle shimmer."
  • Style Snob eye shadow is in a Starflash finish that is described as, "dirty pink brown with bronze."
  • Satin Taupe is in a frost finish that is described as," Taupe brown with silvery bronze shimmer." It is noticeably darker than the other eye shadows and pigments.












Swatches are done with top row of over MAC Paint in Bare Canvas. Bottom row is on bare skin. 1st photo is in bright day light. 2nd photo is slightly shaded day light lighting.

At the end of the day, is Hypnotizing overly unique? No, not really depending on the lighting. Under bright natural light, It's pretty close to all of them except for Satin Taupe. More subdued lighting, it's pretty close to Style Snob, Circa Plum, Mauvement and Shale. Satin Taupe is noticeably darker in both sets of lighting. For darker shaded ladies, this may work as a great dupe never the less. This ends my hunt for replacing Hypnotizing and a happier wallet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment