Sunday, March 14, 2010

Urban Decay Disney Alice in Wonderland Palette Review & Swatches




















The Alice in Wonderland movie was recently released featuring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway with Tim Burton as the director. In conjunction with the movie, Urban Decay had released the Alice in Wonderland Palette. Unfortunately, it is sold out online and in stores at Sephora. The current going rate for it on Ebay is approximately $100 CAD. I was able to get mine on Sephora prior to sell out and am glad I did. I am loving most of the eye shadows.

































The palette features 16 eye shadows in frost and glitter finishes. It includes sample sizes of Urban Decay 24/7 eye liner in Zero and Flipside, as well as a travel size Eye Shadow Primer Potion. It's all housed in cardboard and paper packaging with a drawer to pull everything out of. It includes a small size mirror that I can see I might use while traveling (as long as the designs on the packaging don't distract me!).

The sample size Urban Decay Primer Potion is a given that I'll love. It is one of my favorite bases to lock down eye shadow. I use it pretty much everyday unless I don't plan on doing much eye makeup. I have oily lids, so this product helps to prevent my eye shadow from creasing. As a bonus, the eye shadows that I use do come out more true to pan than if I used a colored base.















The first row of eye shadows include Underland, Alice, Oraculum and Queen. Underland is a cool vibrant purple frost shade with a pink cast to it. Underland is bright ocean blue shade in a frost finish with a silver sheen to it. Oraculum is a darkened warm gold shade in a frost finish. Queen is a dark cranberry shade in a frost finish. All four shades in this row have a smooth texture that is neither dry or chalky.















The second row includes Chessur, White Rabbit, Wonderland and Curiouser. These are my least favorite row of eye shadows. Chessur is a lightened copper shade. White Rabbit is a pale light gold almost white shade. Wonderland is a pale light gold shade. Curiouser is a pale cool lavender shade. All in this row are frost finishes with fine silver glitter in it. This makes for fall out city on my cheeks by using any technique to apply and blend. Having said that, I still think these eye shadows could be used if you are willing to: have patience, use a sticky base, pat the eye shadows down carefully and wipe away the fallout with some makeup remover.














The third row includes Muchness, Mushroom, Midnight Tea Party and Vorpal. Muchness reminds me of MAC Paradisco, a golden coral shade in a frost finish. Mushroom reminds me of MAC Smoke & Diamonds, but slightly darker. This is a frosted taupey-gray. Out of all the shadows in the palette, this is my favorite. I'm finding I reach for it fairly often. Midnight Tea Party is a pinky champagne gold with lots of silver glitter. This one has the same warnings as for the second row of shadows. Apply with caution and care. ;) Vorpal is a pewter gray in a frost finish. The frosts in this row are well pigmented and apply evenly. The worst of the row is Midnight Tea Party due to the abundance of silver glitter in it.














The last row includes Absolem, Drink Me Eat Me, Mad Hatter and Jabberwocky. Absolem is a frosted leaf green shade with a gold cast. Drink Me Eat Me is a pinky champagne gold in a frost finish. It is darker than Midnight Tea Party. I find I reach for this eye shadow a lot, much like Mushroom. Mad Hatter is a matte reddish brown with bronze glitter. Jabberwocky is a matte black with silver glitter.














Urban Decay 24/7 eye liner in Zero is a given that everyone is going to love. It's a classic solid black eye liner that everyone is bound to use. Flipside is a lot like Alice but in pencil form. It's a beautiful shade of bright ocean blue. I could see myself using this on the lower lashline or on the upper lashline to accent a blue eye look.













Overall, I love all the frost eye shadows for their amazing texture, pigmentation and vibrancy. I've been able to come up with a few great eye looks using these. The glitter eye shadows are another story with glitter fall out for all. Beyond fall out, they do have a dryer texture compared to the frost finish shadows, however they still have great pigmentation. I tend to use these only if I have time to get rid of all of the glitter fall out and generally only for an evening look.

The great thing about this palette is that it has left me with wanting more Urban Decay. I'm leaning towards some bright frosts, perhaps in green, blue or purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment