Monday, December 21, 2009

Maybelline Eye Studio Duo Khaki Craze & Ivy Icon Review & Swatches
















After the glitter, sheerness and fallout of Maybelline Eye Studio in Green with Envy, I was just hoping for something more with the Eye Studio Eye Shadow Duos. I got mine at Walmart for $7.96 CAD. Prices may vary from store to store, so definitely look around. :) Each container has 2.2 grams.

The Ivy Icon duo has a light leafy green shade and a darker leafy green shade. Both shades are slightly on the cool side and have gold shimmer through out. As well, both are quite frosty as most mineral shadows are. Applied dry, this is quite sheer. When applied wet, it does appear shimmery and beautiful. Over top of a base, the shimmer dances and plays with the light.

The Khaki Craze Duo has a warm golden brown shade and a warm medium gold shade. Once again, this is quite frosty. Applied dry, this is not as sheer as Ivy Icon. Over top of a base or applied wet, this becomes quite gorgeous.

At first glance, the Eye Studio Eye Shadow Duos do remind me a lot of MAC Mineralize Eye Shadow Duos, but they're definitely not dupes due in terms of color selection and pigmentation. Pigmentation on these is a bit on the sheer side. The texture of the eye shadows is surprisingly good. While I wouldn't say they're smooth and creamy, they are finely milled and soft, definitely not chunky or gritty. On application, they do have fallout issues. However, this is one of those things that I deal with since it's a mineral eye shadow. As for staying power, I think they hold up pretty well. I've worn both over MAC Bare Canvas Paint and after 8 hours of wear, the colors are less vibrant but still distinct. While I had glitter fallout at the end of the day with the Maybelline Eye Studio Quad in Green with Envy, I found I didn't have this issue with either duo. Not bad for a drugstore buy. :)

I've been on a bit of a green kick lately. No idea why! Perhaps it's my longing for Spring ;) I don't tend to go for greens, but I'm liking how they work with my skin tone. The swatches below are with Khaki Craze on the left and Ivy Icon on the right. From top to bottom, applied over Gosh Cosmetics Waterproof Eye Shadow in Love That Beige, MAC Paint in Bare Canvas, no base & dry, and no base & wet. Hope that helps and happy shopping :)

2 comments:

  1. These look pretty! I haven't seen these here yet, but I'll check them out after seeing your swatches. I don't know if I'll be getting these colours though - maybe the khaki.
    XO - Merry Christmas =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Marce! The khaki is pretty nice. There are quite a few other colors that I didn't get and were out of stock. But definitely worth checking out :)

    ReplyDelete