Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Small Brushes for Small Lids: MAC 228 Small Shader Brush & Sephora Professionnel Platinum Small Shader Brush #17
















One of the first items I dropped into my Sephora basket at the Sephora VIB sale was the Sephora Professionnel Platinum Small Shader Brush #17. I admit, I'm Asian. Filipina with some Spanish, but I'm also 1/8th Chinese. Given my ethnicity, I'm blessed with not so big eyes and a small eyelid to work on. Doing precise work can be tricky with my good old MAC 239 brush. It works most of the time, but doing the inner corner and outer corner can be a bit tricky. I had picked up the MAC 228, which I adored for it's size. However, I did need an extra brush to easily switch between lighter and darker colors.

The Sephora Professionel Platinum Small Shader Brush is just what I needed for my small lids. It packs on shadow just as well as a MAC 239 and MAC 228. It is narrower than a MAC 239, making it perfect for applying eye shadow to the inner corner and the outer corner of the lid, as well as anywhere else I need to apply eye shadow. The fibers are natural, lending to the brushes softness. Yet they are firm, making for easy application of powder eye shadow. It performs just as well as a MAC 228 brush.

The MAC 228 Mini Shader Brush is roughly the same size as a Sephora Professionel Platinum Small Shader Brush #17, both in width of the brush head and length of the handle. The fibers are natural, hand made and soft to touch, yet firm when pushed down on. I find it works well for applying powder eye shadow and makes blending shadows easier.

The small size of both the Sephora #17 and MAC 228 prevent me from over blending. Due to the size of the MAC 239, I often find myself over blending, resulting in a muddy effect between two eye shadows. Small shader brushes allow me to see my lid more and prevent the muddiness.

Having two small shader brushes is a bit overkill for some. However, I like that I have two because I can more readily switch from one eyeshadow to another. Sometimes switching from one side of the brush to the other side can work. But depending on the shadow, they may just make it to the other side with out my knowledge. It's utter frustration and time consuming for me when I end up with color transfer and don't realize it until it reaches my lids.

So if you're looking for a new shader brush and have smaller lids, you may want to consider looking into a small shader brush. The MAC 228 Mini Shader Brush and the Sephora Professionel Platinum Small Shader Brush #17 are great options.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment