Monday, October 26, 2009

Urban Decay Book of Shadows II Review & Swatches

Oh Sephora, how you are making my wallet cry in pain. Last week the makeup junkie in me was elated that they had in stock the Urban Decay Book of Shadows II. I had seen many reviews of this gorgeous palette, which had been on my want list since it showed up on the Sephora website. This includes 16 eye shadows, Zero 24/7 liner, Bourbon 24/7 liner and Eyeshadow Primer Potion. With that being said, all products are smaller than regular size. I don't mind this because at $58 CAD (48 USD), this breaks down to $3.05 CAD per item, not including tax.

The Primer Potion will be handy for travel at 3.7 mL (0.13US Fl Oz), it's not too small where it will get lost in a makeup bag. I love it and use it every day. My eyelids are prone to getting oil, creasing has been an issue for me. This did the trick and I'm a proud owner of 3 tubes, including the one I got in this package.

This set includes Bourbon and Zero 24/7 Liners. Bourbon is dark brown with glitter. Zero is black. I love dark brown liners, but Bourbon doesn't quite seem like one I'd use much because I prefer really dark browns. Something where it's almost black, but it's really a dark brown. Zero is something I know I'll use. It isn't as black as MAC Feline, but it is close enough.

The 16 eye shadows cover a wide range of shades and in frosty, glittery and matte finishes. Compared to my eye shadow collection, I can't see too many dupes out there to what's in this palette. The only exceptions to that are Perversion, Sellout, Mushroom, Half-Baked, YDK, Jinx and Misdemeanor. Perversion reminds me of MAC Carbon. Sellout reminds me of Stila Kitten. Mushroom is similar to MAC Smoke & Diamonds and everything similar to that. Half-Baked is similar to MAC Amber Lights but less copper, as well it is similar to Smashbox 24K. YDK looks like a lighter version of MAC Satin Taupe. Jinx looks like a lighter version of MAC Deep Truth. Misdemeanor is like a lighter version of MAC Deep Blue Green pigment.

The Urban Decay Book of Shadows II has a wide range of colors that I can easily come up with several eye combo's. There's enough bright eye shadows in this palette for a fun night out, but it also has loads of neutrals to wear everyday. The eye shadows are generally richly pigmented and apply slightly creamy. The exception to that would be any shadow that has chunky glitter. In this palette, it would have to be Sphyx and Midnight Cowboy Rides Again. I love glitter, but I don't like it when it falls on to my cheeks.

The packaging of this isn't something I'm really loving. For one I don't like how big this palette is. It measures 7.25 inches by 5.5 inches. It's not a size I could easily drop in my purse or travel with. A petite compact like the Face Case would've been handier. (Urban Decay made Face Cases a few years ago. I still have one. They were these thin compacts with 4 eye shadows, 2 lip gunks, 2 lip sticks and a blush. They measure 2.5 inches by 4 inches. ) However, I do like the large mirror on the inside.

Sigh, I'm amazed with all the lovely palettes I've come across with lately. Yes, it's a lot, but what's a shopaholic to do? I think I'll just play with my makeup and see what looks I can come up with next. For your viewing pleasure, I've swatched all of the eye shadows. All swatches were taken with macro mode, natural lighting, and on either cloudy or auto-white balance setting. I'm an NC40 for reference. Pictures are clickable for a larger image. Enjoy!




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love this palette. All the shades except green and blue are among my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This palette is packed with so many great colors. I am with you on the greens and blues. I may wear them once in awhile, but they won't be regulars for me.

    ReplyDelete