Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Helping Typhoon Victims in Need in the Philippines

As I'm sure many of you have seen in the news, read in the newspaper or on the internet, the Philippines was hit by typhoon Ketsana and typhoon Parma. Sadly, over 600 have died in the flooding and mudslides. According to Gilbert Teodoro, Defense Secretary of the Philippines, the flood waters are not expected to fully recede until December. Diarrhea and disease outbreaks are inevitable due to the antiquated sewage system and the flooding. There have been problems with the Filipino government distributing food and medical supplies. Some relief has been donated by fellow Filipinos. In fact, my old friend living in the Philippines posted a plea on Facebook for donations to buy water, canned goods and medical supplies due to the lack of government assistance.

In fact, my grandfather's home was flooded severely. We were told the flood waters have reached approximately 50 inches, forcing our family living on my grandfather's property to move to the upstairs of the house. I am so grateful that they have an upstairs to live in and that it is still habitable. Unfortunately, my cousin's home is still completely flooded. It is uninhabitable and he and his family have had to move temporarily.

My plan is to send to my family in this time of need. I don't make a lot of money, but it breaks my heart to see so many people in such pain. I would also appreciate it if everyone could make some contribution as well. Please send money to the Filipino Red Cross. Their website can be found here: http://www.redcross.org.ph/. They take Paypal, which allows you to pay securely using your Visa, Mastercard, Amex or bank account. Their Paypal email address you can send to is give@redcross.org.ph. My hope is everyone to contribute even $5 to them. Every little bit counts and can make a difference to buy medicine, food and water. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment