Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chanel Noirs Obscurs Les Folie Noires Swatches


This Fall/Winter 2009, the trend has been for dark lips, dark eyes and dark nails. I love doing dark smokey eyes with a nude or pink lip. Being the shopaholic and cosmetaholic that I am, this month I got myself the Chanel Noirs Obscurs Les Folie Noires Quad Palette.The quad is quite different given the darkness of the shades compared to other Chanel quads. The quad features 4 shadows. It features a dark green, mahogany/burgundy, dark blue and purple.

On swatching dry, the colors come off as mostly a greyish black with a hint of the listed colors. On swatching with MAC Fix+, they do come out more vibrant. However, still not at the coloring I would go for. The black of the shadows were not truly black. They had this greyish tone to them that I did not expect. It made them look ashy, not something I'd ever expect from Chanel! They also had silver glitter in each shadow. I don't understand why they included it when there are lots of green glitter with the green shade, purple glitter with the purple shade, burgundy glitter with the burgundy shade and dark blue glitter with the dark purple shade. It was really something that I wouldn't expect from Chanel. I expected the colors to have a higher black intensity with purple, green, burgundy and blue.

To be fair and in an attempt to find a way to make it work, I tried it over all the bases I have. I used MAC Cream Color Base in Black, MAC Paint Pot in Blackground, MAC Paint Pot in Painterly, MAC Greasepaint Stick in Black, Medusa Stick-it, MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack and Urban Decay Primer Potion. Overall, the nude bases didn't seem to do much for these shadows. Of the bases that I tried, I liked the way the shadows were over Greasepaint in Black, Cream Color Base in black and Fluidline in Blacktrack.

As for how to use this. I tried doing a foiled panda eye look with my MAC Greasepaint stick in black and it worked out well. Very bold and dramatic. Of course I wouldn't do this everyday says the practical part of me. The other look I did was a brown smoky eye using MAC Painterly Paint Pot, MAC Soft Brown as a lid color, Blanc Type for a highlight and the purple shade from the quad as a crease color. This I could probably see myself doing more so. I think with neutrals and being over a base, the grayish tone of the black and the little specks of silver glitter was less obvious.

Overall though, I wouldn't run down to the counter to pick up this quad. As pretty as it is in the pan, there are probably many other shadows you could pick up without the silver glitter and better blackness.

Now to the fun part. Below are swatch pictures of the Chanel Noirs Obscurs quad. My skintone is NC40/42 on my arm. Enjoy and let me know what you think! =)


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment